Ubuntu 8.10 does not support the Asus S37S webcam. In order to get it working you need to follow the below directions or take it to a computer shop that will support it (since you have found this page already provide them these directions too so they know what to do).
1. Confirm you have the same webcam on your Asus S37S notebook. If you open up a terminal window by going to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal and typing “lsusb” and hitting enter you should get a line with the following:
Bus 007 Device 003: ID 05e3:0503 Genesys Logic, Inc.
2. If you don’t then this won’t work. If you do then you’ll need to download the driver manually.
Note: I tested the gl860_2.6.27b.tgz driver with Ubuntu 8.10 and found that it worked. I tested the gl860_2.6.26e.tgz with Ubuntu 8.04 and found that it worked. I tested the gl860_2.6.27b.tgz driver with Ubuntu 8.04 and found that it failed during the installation.
3. Extract gl860_2.6.27b.tgz and open a terminal window from Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
Go to the directory where you extracted the files to. For instance “cd ~/nvgl” without the quotes if you extracted the files to your home directory (/home/user).
4. Type “./install” and hit enter
When prompted to use the wizard (We have to set a driver flavour: use wizard [y] / choose yourself [anything else]) hit enter for yes.
5. When prompted to make a choice on the version (Please make your choice) enter “a” without the quotes and hit enter.
6. Applications -> Add/Remove…
7. Under All Available Applications search for “Cheese”.
8. Check the box to install and hit apply.
9. Once installed go to Applications -> Graphics -> Cheese Webcam Booth
10. If no error message appears wait a few seconds for the image to appear on screen of you! If it appears then the install worked.
11. Go back to the terminal window Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal and enter “sudo nano /etc/modules”. You will be prompted for your administrator password.
12. Add “gl860” to the bottom of the list and hit the control key (Ctrl) and x keys simlitainisiously to save and exit. When prompted to save hit y, then hit enter.
Your computer will now load the webcam driver every time the system boots.